Sunday, May 4, 2008

The general who never sleeps

The rain was patting non-stop on my tent. I was drinking a cup of nice oolong tea when suddenly my comrade came up and said “general! The Koreans have infiltrated our frontline!” I was shocked. How could the weaklings infiltrate our frontline? I got out from my seat and from a distance, I could see thick black smoke rising up to the night sky. I know that our walls have fallen into the Koreans fire. I quickly told my advisor to prepare my uniform I was going to war.
I gathered as much awaked samurais as I could and went on horseback to the Kyoto front and what happens next shocked me.
I have never seen anything like it. It was the shape of a turtle and it had spear-sharp spikes. It must have been an innovative creation by their one and only hope, admiral Yi Sun Shin. He was the pillar for Korea and the only obstacle that blocks me from reaching my goal to conquering Korea. Then I looked at the war and shouted at the top of my voice “ fight on my samurais! Your wives are waiting at home for you!” the samurais looked at me with that expression. The expression I could never forget. the look tells me that they longed to go home and enjoy a hot and beautiful dinner with their families. It is amazing how one look could tell you so many feelings, so many expressions. I charged in the dark and raised my sword. When they saw the sword, it was their motivation. It was what they needed to fend off the Korean dogs. They were blood-drunk. They killed like nobody’s business.
But although those turtle ships were so powerful that with one cannon it could killed tens of men, the samurais just continued to charge on. I was motivated and honored that we have such great warriors fighting for our country. I went on to fight. With slashing and killing and blood splashing all over my samurai armor, I managed to push back the Koreans for the time being…
And as for Admiral Yi Sun Shin, he went back, hoping that he could come back to our land conquering it, leaving us to put up the white flag. But we know that that’s not going to happened. But is there more than meets the eye. Can Korea in the end overthrow Japan? Tune in next time to my story!

No comments: